Category 1

Who will take Kyle Busch's place in No. 8 car after death of NASCAR driver?

Thedeath of NASCAR driver Kyle Buschfrom a "severe illness" on May 21 came as a shock.

USA TODAY

The question of who will replace the 41-year-old two-time Cup champion who drove the No. 8 car forRichard Childress Racingis not.

Austin Hill, 32, was announced to be Busch's replacement in theCoca-Cola 600earlier May 21. He will remain Busch's replacement behind the wheel for the time being.

Hill has run 17 Cup Series races in his career, with one top-10 finish, at the Chicago Street Race in 2025.

Here's what to know about Austin Hill.

Has Austin Hill won any championships on the NASCAR circuit?

Hill has not won any overall season championships.

Advertisement

Hill did win the 2023 NASCAR Xfinity Series regular-season title, the 2020 Truck Series regular-season title and was named the Xfinity Series Rookie of the Year in 2022.

What are Austin Hill's racing stats?

Hill has 17 career Cup races during a five-year span.

His last Cup race was the Cookout 400 at Martinsville.

He has 15 career wins, 93 top-10 finishes and seven poles in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Series and eight wins, 54 top-10 finishes and three poles in the Craftsman Truck Series.

Where is Austin Hill from?

Hill, who is 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, was born in Winston, Georgia, on April 21, 1994.

Paul Skrbina is a sports enterprise reporter covering the Predators, Titans, Nashville SC, local colleges and local sports for The Tennessean. Reach him at pskrbina@tennessean.com and on the X platform (formerly known as Twitter)@paulskrbina.

This article originally appeared on Nashville Tennessean:Kyle Busch dies, Austin Hill will replace NASCAR driver in No. 8 car

Who will take Kyle Busch's place in No. 8 car after death of NASCAR driver?

Thedeath of NASCAR driver Kyle Buschfrom a "severe illness" on May 21 came as a shock. The question of who will replace...
NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after bout with severe illness

Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion considered one of the best drivers of all time, died Thursday after a bout with a severe illness. He was 41.

Field Level Media

The Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR confirmed his death hours after announcing that Busch had been hospitalized this week and would miss Sunday's Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. No further details, including the type of illness and location of the hospital, were provided.

"Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch," the joint statement said. "A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.

"Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR's highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series. His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.'"

"NASCAR lost a giant of the sport today, far too soon."

Busch is survived by his wife Samantha, 11-year-old son Brexton and 4-year-old daughter Lennix. He was also the younger brother of NASCAR Hall of Famer Kurt Busch, 47.

When the NASCAR Cup Series came to Watkins Glen, N.Y. earlier this month, Busch told his team over the radio that he was "gonna need a shot" and later told The Athletic he had not fully gotten over what was ailing him.

Advertisement

"You can kind of hear it -- I'm still not great," Busch said. "The cough was pretty substantial last week."

Busch accrued 232 wins across NASCAR's top three series: 63 in the Cup Series, 102 in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Series and 69 in the Craftsman Truck Series. He won the trucks race at Dover on Friday, six days before his death.

The Las Vegas native was the NASCAR Cup Series champion in 2015 and 2019. He never won the Daytona 500 but claimed the pole for the first time this year before finishing 15th.

Among Busch's big wins were the 2008 Southern 500, the 2015 and 2016 Brickyard 400 and 2019 Coca-Cola 600.

In a statement earlier in the day, Richard Childress Racing asked for prayers for Busch and his family and "he and his family have the full resources of RCR behind them."

They also tapped Austin Hill to take over for Busch in the No. 8 Chevrolet for the Coca-Cola 600, one of NASCAR's crown jewel events.

--Field Level Media

NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after bout with severe illness

Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion considered one of the best drivers of all time, died Thursday after a bout with a sev...
DHS reiterates it could suspend international travel at some airports in 'sanctuary cities,' sources say

WASHINGTON, May 21 (Reuters) - Homeland Security Department Secretary ‌Markwayne Mullin privately warned ‌officials could stop processing international ​travelers and cargo at major U.S. airports in "sanctuary cities" that have declined ‌to cooperate ⁠with the Trump administration's hardline immigration crackdown, ⁠sources told Reuters.

Reuters

Mullin, who publicly made the ​threat in April ​during ​a DHS ‌funding dispute, privately told travel executives last week that the department could opt to stop processing international ‌travelers at airports ​such as ​Denver, ​Philadelphia, Chicago, Los ‌Angeles, New York City, ​Newark, ​Seattle and San Francisco.

Advertisement

The Atlantic earlier reported Mullin's ​comments ‌to travel executives.

(Reporting by ​David Shepardson; Editing by ​Chris Reese)

DHS reiterates it could suspend international travel at some airports in 'sanctuary cities,' sources say

WASHINGTON, May 21 (Reuters) - Homeland Security Department Secretary ‌Markwayne Mullin privately warned ‌officials could stop processi...
Aaron Rodgers provides major update on his NFL future

Aaron Rodgers didn't leave anything up for interpretation.

USA TODAY

The 2026 season will be his last.

"This is it," Rodgers said during a news conference May 20 on the second day of organized team activities followinghis return to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a second year.

Rodgers, 42, signed a one-year contract with the Steelers earlier this week aftermonths of speculation on whether he would play again for his 22nd season.

The four-time NFL MVP, who spent the first 18 years of his career with theGreen Bay Packers, is reuniting with former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy for his final season in Pittsburgh. McCarthy was hired by the Steelers earlier this offseason.

McCarthy coached Rodgers for 13 years and the two teamed to win a Super Bowl during the 2010 season. Rodgers won his first two MVPs under McCarthy and they went to the playoffs for a franchise-best eight straight seasons from 2009-16.

Rodgers has implied retirement in the past.

He said last year after also signing a one-year contract with the Steelers that he was "pretty sure this is it."

"That’s why we just did a one-year deal," Rodgers said on "The Pat McAfee Show." "Steelers didn’t need to put any extra years on it."

Now, a year later, Rodgers is back with the Steelers, the team he helped lead to a division title in 2025.

Aaron Rodgers on retirement

Here's how Rodgers answered the question about retirement on May 20.

Advertisement

Asked by a reporter if the 2026 season could be his last year, Rodgers replied emphatically "yes" before confirming that he plans to call it quits after the year.

Rodgers will get a chance for a bit of redemption afterlast season's dismal 30-6 loss in the wild card round in which his final pass was an interception.

Rodgers turns 43 in December.

It will also give him a chance to move up another list. He enters the 2026 season fourth all-time in touchdown passes with 527 but with 13 more the future first-ballot Hall of Famer will pass Peyton Manning for third.

Last season, in 16 games with the Steelers, Rodgers completed 65.7% of his passes, threw for 3,322 yards, 24 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Aaron Rodgers on the Steelers in 2026

What does Rodgers think of the Steelers' chances this season?

"I think you have to temper expectations this time a year," Rodgers said, "because all the years I played sometimes you get excited about guys how they look in shorts and a helmet and then when the pads go on it just changes everything. It changes the offensive line first and foremost, but it changes how guys play.

"Some guys slow down, some guys speed up, some guys have extra confidence with pads on, some guys have some trepidation with the pads on.

"You just got to temper your expectations, not make any snap judgments and wait to camp to see how things come together. But I am excited about these guys. I am excited about the team and it's fun to be back in the locker room with those guys."

A year afterthe Packers played Rodgersin a regular season game in Pittsburgh – a 33-25 win for Green Bay – they'll see him again in 2026, thoughthis time just in the preseason.

This article originally appeared on Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:Aaron Rodgers provides major update on NFL future, retirement

Aaron Rodgers provides major update on his NFL future

Aaron Rodgers didn't leave anything up for interpretation. The 2026 season will be his last. "This is it," Rodgers ...
Knicks hold momentum, but Cavs no stranger to playoff comebacks

The New York Knicks are no strangers to playing with plenty of momentum during the NBA playoffs. Nor are the Cleveland Cavaliers unfamiliar with climbing back from discouraging losses.

Field Level Media

But Game 1 of their Eastern Conference finals series on Tuesday might have provided the Knicks with their most momentum yet and presented the Cavaliers their biggest challenge.

The host Knicks will aim to take a 2-0 series lead as the Cavaliers will look to bounce back from a stunning defeat in Game 2 of the best-of-seven set on Thursday.

The Knicks won Game 1 in historic fashion, overcoming a 22-point deficit in the final 7:52 of regulation and never trailing in overtime on their way to a 115-104 victory.

The victory was the eighth straight for the Knicks, who won their previous seven games by an average of 26.4 points before mounting the second-biggest fourth-quarter comeback in NBA playoff history.

The Los Angeles Clippers trailed the Memphis Grizzlies by 24 before earning a 99-98 win in Game 1 of a Western Conference first-round series in 2012.

On Tuesday, the Knicks squandered an 11-point second-quarter lead and were outscored 66-33 over a span of 21-plus minutes between the second and fourth quarters. But Jalen Brunson scored 15 points in the fourth quarter as New York ended regulation on a 30-8 run before OG Anunoby scored nine points in overtime.

"They were playing great basketball, had us on our heels, give them a lot of credit -- obviously we played well in the fourth and overtime," Brunson said. "It was the middle, second and third quarter, where we let go of the rope. So that's our biggest takeaway."

Advertisement

That plus the fact that the series isn't over just because of a resounding Game 1 victory. In 2012, the Clippers had to go the distance to eliminate the Grizzlies, who forced a decisive Game 7 after falling behind 3-1.

"They're going to come out with extreme energy, attention to detail, focus, sense of urgency and desperation," Knicks forward Josh Hart said. "They're looking at it like that was our game that we gave away."

The loss was the seventh of the postseason for the Cavaliers, who needed the full seven games to eliminate the fifth-seeded Toronto Raptors in the first round and the top-seeded Detroit Pistons in the second round.

"We've had some tough ones, but it's one loss," said Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell, who scored 29 points but just three during the Knicks' fourth-quarter surge. "It's not like that loss gives them two or three games. It's one. So we have an opportunity to come back here in two days and steal one here."

Cleveland squandered a 2-0 series lead against the Raptors, who forced Game 7 when RJ Barrett hit a 29-footer that bounced high above the rim and through the net to give Toronto a 112-110 win.

The Cavaliers trailed the Pistons 2-0 in the second round, then won three straight before missing a chance to close out the series at home last Friday, when Detroit rolled to a 115-94 victory. However, Cleveland responded with a 125-94 road rout in Sunday's Game 7.

"Just understanding that we didn't have the best effort (Tuesday) night, we didn't have the best outcome," Cavaliers center Jarrett Allen said. "And the resiliency is going to show (Thursday in) how we come out."

--Field Level Media

Knicks hold momentum, but Cavs no stranger to playoff comebacks

The New York Knicks are no strangers to playing with plenty of momentum during the NBA playoffs. Nor are the Cleveland Cavaliers unfami...

 

INS MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com